Sunday, March 29, 2009

It Wants to Live

In the middle of December I took my pole saw and pruned my three Royal Empress (paulownia) trees.

Each of the three trees are about twenty feet high, and in the winter, when the trees are focusing on root development, it is the perfect time to see exactly which branches need to be pruned.

After I had cut the branches, I chopped them into smaller sections, most of which were about one to two feet long, and I placed them in a pile on the ground next to my outdoor fireplace.

Well, the other day I decided that the wood had probably dried out enough so that it would burn. As I started to put some of it in my fireplace, I noticed that two of the branches had new growth on them! Now this is a full three and a half months after I had originally cut them!

I could not believe it, but here is a picture that shows the new growth on one of the cut pieces.



1 comment:

Gymi said...

I have to say, that is one hardy tree. I do not believe I have ever seen another tree sprout new growth after being cut form the tree and laid out to dry.