Sunday, October 5, 2008

Louisiana Largesse

yesterday was for crabbing. and so i packed up my nets, my chicken necks, a can of dog food that i could punch holes in to attract them crabs and off me and my mrs. went.

good times. plenty of sun. but how many crabs? one. but let me tell you. the one i catched was one big ol' crab yeah. so on the way home we stopped and bought a dozen live ones for $8 and boiled 'em.

this is where i find my focus. it's when i'm out in the air, not looking for no kite crabs, they be too light, but on the shore where we sure to find our full fill.

eventually when we ate our crabs. i found my way outside. to my plants. this is where i find my focus. it's something that takes time, patience, water, care, nurturing, sun, some luck and good intention.

many times i couldn't figure out why it was that i so often feel the need to tend to my plants, but now i think i believe i know. it's 'cause i want to have something that relies on me. something that knows that i'm the provider. without me it wouldn't be so beautiful. and that's what they all are to me beautiful. even the cacti. there are flowers that come blooming out of them. blooming, busting, holding back for ain't gonna wait for no rain man days. when we have bad weather and they get knocked over, it's me who goes out and stand them back up. gives them a little food. and in return they give back to me tenfold.

although oftentimes disjointed is my life, i know there is always solace to be found in the rhythm of the plants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, bayou boy, those crabs sounded yummy! your garden sounds nice - good place for reflecting and relaxing. would like to see the six recipes for sweet potatoes in that cooking magazine. will have to keep checking to see when I can see all the Oct. recipes. hugs...the camero queen :-)